Day 6: About One Week In, How's it Going?

Spring Break is only one week long.  We've only been home (all of us) for 6 days.  So why does it feel so much longer?  I guess social distancing makes a big difference.  When the week started we were more relaxed.  The kids went outside and played with neighbors, we went to the store, we left the house at least!  Now we're staying in, watching the news, and trying to keep the children busy!  But that's where I think we need to focus... the children. Many people, including me, have posted schedules, ideas, and activities to keep the children busy.  This is from a good place, of course, but it's not all that matters. 

Today I posted what my family would be doing for the day.  It involved quiet time, an interactive YouTube video, and doodling.  A family member commented on it and said something along the lines of, "Now this I can do."  She then said that she was worried about "doing enough".  This made me think.  What is "enough"?

With children, of all ages, "enough" is a LOT simpler than we may think.  Being and doing enough is just listening and talking to them.  It's being there, being present.  Sometimes we have to step back, take a deep breath and reassess the situation. 

Is a schedule helpful?  Sure.  Are you failing if you don't have one?  No.  Absolutely not.  In fact, sometimes the schedule and plans get in the way.  They can block you from seeing what your children really need.  For example, sometimes I am trying to grade papers, write lesson plans, and entertain my four-year-old.  Most of the time, he calls me out when this happens.  He doesn't take my passive responses well.  I can nod and casually say, "Uh huh..." as he talks and tells me about his drawings, but he knows I'm not REALLY listening.  It's then when he either gets mad and acts up or gets right in my face while sitting on my lap and practically shouting, "Mom! I'm talking to you. Listen to me!".  This is a wake up call.  It makes me put down my stuff and just spend a minute, two, or even 5 on listening to Wes.  He's only going to be 4 for a little while.  And he's hilariously!  If we stopped and listened to children more often we'd be a lot more care-free than we are.

So, as you're looking through the social media posts and comparing yourself to the other temporary homeschooling families, remember that all your children really need is YOU.






So today we didn't stick to a strict schedule.  In fact, all three of my children had a LOT of screen time.  But, we all enjoyed some drawing time outside and in.  And, we attempted to teach our dog to carry an Easter basket.  It was GREAT. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resources to Get you Started!

Simple Dessert Math!

The Preschool Panic- It's time to send them to preschool... get ready to peel them off of you and run. Right? Wrong!